Cross Stitch Patterns by designer Pamela Kellogg of Kitty And Me Designs

The Blog Of Cross Stitch Designer Pamela Kellogg
Kitty And Me Designs

Add This To

Kitty And Me Designs

Celebrating 35 years of Needlework!!!!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

1916 Redeye Singer Treadle Sewing Machine

I haven't anything to share today really.  I just finished layering several pieces for new art quilts.  I took photos and will be writing up a tutorial for my readers who would like to give it a try.

In the meantime, I know I have a few new readers here so I thought I would share pictures of my beautiful 1916 Singer Redeye Treadle Sewing Machine.  I bought this a few years back:















My sweet husband striped and refinished the cabinet for me.  He also cleaned up the machine before I took it to Bill (the sewing machine man) for a good inside cleaning.  Here's a close up of the machine:

 













I have my grandmother's Singer electric machine from the 50's too.  I use that one for finishing as it's more precise.  But this one, oh, this is my baby!!!  It folds down into the cabinet but I always leave it open.  It's so pretty to look at!

Well, I have an order to put together and then to get dinner ready.  Taco Salad tonight!

Be sure to stay tuned for my Art Quilt 101 tutorial.  I expect to get that going next week.

9 comments:

Lynn S. said...

Loved seeing your little treadle machine! I have a Minnesota treadle machine I am working to find the date on, etc. It's in a parlor cabinet style. I'll never use it of course (has those little pencil bobbins with it but fun to have). I also have my trusty little Singer featherweight (circa 1952 I believe) that I love sewing on. I carry that one with in the summer months when we go in our fifth wheel camper. Thanks for sharing your photos with us!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

oooh - the green-eyed monster is definitely rearing its ugly little head over this one! When I was little my grandma used to let me pump the treadle on hers and I've always dreamed of having my own. Hers disappeared over the years and I so wish I had it.

Judy S. said...

Oh Pam, if we lived closer, I'd have you show me how to use the one we inherited from DH's mom. Yours is so lovely.

Colleen Barnett said...

These machines are lovely, aren't they. And it's great that yours works. You can find them around at antique shops, but it's rare to find one actually working. Lovely!

Shirley said...

My sister has my mom's treadle machine. It is what I learned to sew on many many years ago. You had the control of your own pace that is for sure. My mom made a lot of clothes, quilts, you name it because she sewed for us kids and there were 10 of us. Have a wonderful day and thanks for sharing.

Cathy said...

I love your Redeye! I have a 1916 Singer too (dated by the serial number), but it's not a Redeye! And mine needs to be cleaned up and given a new belt. Yours is so lovely, Pam. Thanks for sharing pictures. Hugs, Cathy

Anonymous said...

thanks for stopping by. I love this vintage sewing machine!!

Lynn Stevens said...

What a treasure. I'd leave it open all the time too. A work of art in itself!
Your art quilt are all just Gorgeous!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This picture looks like it was photo shopped or something. Look at the unit its actually in the wall. lol. Nothing is touching the floor.

Related Posts with Thumbnails